About UsThe Morris County Golf Club, founded in 1894 and located in Morristown, New Jersey, is a private, members-only club dedicated to the spirit of great sportsmanship, lifelong friendships and friendly competition. The Club's challenging and beautiful Seth Raynor-designed course, set on 150 acres, is its crown jewel, but world-class racquet sports, swimming, social events and fine dining are also part of the MCGC experience.
The Club and facilities are for member usage only and is not open to the public. If you are interested in membership, please contact Jackie at email@example.com.
The Club was unique from its very beginning. Planned, organized, and operated by women. This was remarkable considering the era, a period when women were presumed decorous rather than determined. The Club's founding "mothers," a term used here in respect and appreciation, proved more than able for the task they had set.
Golf, always the club's premier sport, has been complemented through the years by various other activities: tennis, swimming, paddle tennis, and ice hockey come to mind.
If a single word can describe the Club's first century, then "determination" is an apt choice. Morris County Golf Club has endured repeated disasters: two fires in 1903 and 1915 leveled earlier clubhouses, both world wars and the Depression of the 1930's reduced membership, and heavy debt had to be retired more than once. Yet the club has prevailed.
The reason for this longevity is not the club's physical assets, which have evolved and altered with time, but rather what Morris County Golf Club represents. The members of a century ago sought to create an atmosphere of civility and an ambiance where friendship and sportsmanship were to be held in esteem. Their success is our legacy. Much is different, but the club's founding spirit remains unchanged, and the determination of our current members is as strong as ever--the determination to maintain the rich traditions that are the hallmark of the Morris County Golf Club.
Scroll back to top
DescriptionMorris County Golf Club is recognized as the region's foremost private golf and family club. The venerable club, founded in 1894 and open to members and their guests, features an 18-hole, par 70 course on 150 acres. The course has 6,522 yards of golf from the championship tees with a rating of 71.6 and a slope of 129. Greens tees and fairways consist of bentgrass maintained at a championship level. The course also features a practice putting green, a driving range (renovated in 2011) and a short game area.
Club facilities include har tru tennis courts and platform tennis courts, as well as a Paddle Facility (renovated in 2016) complete with indoor entertaining space and a fire pit on the deck. An Olympic size swimming pool, Poolside Bar and Grill, and fully stocked Golf and Racquet Pro Shops. The Clubhouse features four dining spaces, the Main Dining Room, the Terrace Grill, the Pub Room and the Patio (renovated in 2017). Executive Chef Adam Plitt has created seasonal menus suitable for fine dining and casual dining year round.
Scroll back to top
HistoryBirth of a Club
The story of the club’s founding has been well documented. Several accounts have appeared over the years, most of them based on two chapters from Marjorie Kaschewski’s The Quiet Millionaires and the newspaper Jerseyman.
The club traces its roots to a meeting at the Elm Street home of Mrs. Henry Hopkins, where a group of ladies of “impeccable precedents” met “to start the ball rolling,” according to Kaschewski.
"At a meeting held at the residence of Mrs. Henry Hopkins on Tuesday, April 10, the “Morris County Golf Club” was organized. . . .The Club House will be situated on Madison Avenue, on property adjoining the Punch Bowl. A golf course will be laid out; also tennis courts and croquet grounds. The architect, Mr. Robert C. Walsh, hopes to have the Club House ready to turn over to the members on Decoration Day.
-Jerseyman, April 13, 1894
The New York Times noted the birth of the club on April 23, 1894:
"Morristown, the home of many of New York’s best-known business men, is to have a Country Club, thus following the lead of those places which aim to be much gayer, but do not succeed in being as pleasant a place of residence as this old-fashioned town in the hills of New Jersey. The clubhouse, soon to be erected, will be situated on a very pretty piece of property, adjoining a curious and famous depression in the land which from time immemorial has been called the “Punch Bowl.” Besides the golf course, there will be tennis courts and a croquet ground."
The club leased approximately 20 acres, half of it smooth meadowland, the other half the Punch Bowl, 100 feet in depth, which traced back to Colonial times, although of unknown origin. The site was located just a two-minute walk from the railroad station. (Today, it is occupied by a parking lot behind Jersey Central Power and Light.)
Indeed, it was the Punch Bowl, with its steep hollows and long grassy swales, its sporty appearance and infinite possibilities, that inspired the start of golf in Morristown.
Construction of the clubhouse was rushed to completion. The club’s formal opening day festivities took place on June 16, 1894, an occasion unfortunately marred by intermittent downpours.
"Society dressed itself in its best on Saturday to attend the opening of the Morris County Golf Club, but many were disappointed when the rain came down fast and heavy and prevented them from going out. Notwithstanding the weather, the reception room of the Club House was well filled and all who were present passed a very enjoyable afternoon. Golf was tried between the showers, and many who had previously talked against the game became converted and decided to try it. The hall is just right for dancing and the married couples as well as the younger set are looking forward with much pleasure to many dances during the summer and fall."
-Jerseyman, June 22, 1897
Golf grew quickly in popularity that first summer, as noted in the following article:
"The social as well as the sporting future of Morristown, N.J., this summer is going to be the game of golf. Residents of that popular locality, not to be outdone by Newport and Southampton in the pursuit of the old Scotch game, have not only erected a handsome clubhouse and laid out admirable links, but are also playing the game with enthusiasm.
A year ago most of the Morristown people would probably have dismissed with an incredible smile the idea that within 12 months a flourishing golf club would be in their midst. It was the ladies at Morristown who took the initiative in the matter, and so, of course, there was no stopping.
The grounds consist of about 60 acres, and have been leased from John D. Canfield for five years with the privilege of purchasing at the expiration of that time. This latter act depends largely upon how strong a hold golf will keep upon those who are enthusiastic over it, but judging from the rapid growth the game has had here during the past few years, it is almost safe to say that golf has come to remain permanently."
-Jerseyman, July 6, 1894
By comparison with other clubs, the early growth of the Morris County Golf Club was astounding. Late in 1894, Outing Magazinenoted that there were 400 members, a fact corroborated by theJerseyman. The ladies conferred honorary membership on local clergymen and admitted 200 men, mostly husbands and fathers, as associate members, believing they would “make good caddies.”
The Jerseyman described the club’s membership structure in detail:
"The club here is the only one in the country organized and managed by women. The membership of the club is divided into four classes—regular, limited, associate and honorary. The regular members number 32, and are the actual managers of affairs. The limited members number about 200 ladies, who have no voice in club affairs. The men constitute the associate membership. There is an advisory committee composed of gentlemen which is associated with the executive committee composed of ladies."Scroll back to top
-Jerseyman, November 3, 1894
Guest InformationWelcome to Morris County Golf Club. In an effort to assist you while visiting our Club, our Professional staff has highlighted a few traditions of the Club that we ask you to observe.
Proper attire is required at all times while on Club property. Women may wear pants, slacks, Bermuda-length shorts, skirts, and culottes (no more than three inches above the knee), and appropriate shirts. Men must wear collared shirts with sleeves. Jacket and tie may be required consistent with the guidelines of the room in which they are dining. All children should be dressed accordingly.
Golf attire is required on the golf course, putting green, and practice areas. Soft spikes only in golf shoes. Whites are required on the tennis courts. Swimsuit attire is permitted only in the immediate swimming pool area.
Inappropriate Attire: Jeans (and all denim attire), abbreviated shorts, tank tops, tee shirts with printed slogans, and net or mesh-type shirts are not considered proper attire on Club property. Military cargo over flap shorts, cargo pants & shorts, and camouflage attire are also inappropriate Club attire. Flip-flops that are plastic and foam are not permitted in any dining area of the Club, including the Patio.
- Cell phone usage for verbal conversation is only permitted in the following areas of the Club:
- Parking lots
- Pool area (excluding dining and tennis viewing areas)
- Clubhouse restrooms
- Locker rooms (excluding common sitting and dining areas)
- Second floor (clubhouse sitting area and meeting room)
- Speaker phone is not permitted on Club property.
PDA & Text Messaging Use
Private; non-conversational use of PDA’s (Blackberry, Treo) and Text Messaging may be used anywhere on Club property. However, guests are expected to ensure that such use does not infringe upon our members. Such infringement would include distractions from dining, recreational activities or affecting the golf pace of play.
Morris County Golf Club adheres to a strict NO TIPPING policy for its members and their guests.Scroll back to top